15 August 2006

Music Musing


There are pieces of music that just make me happy, or nostalgic ... or feel a way that words can't begin to describe. I love music (almost any kind), because so often, it's so much more expressive than words can be -- sometimes without having a single word in it.

Classical and instrumental music (soundtracks, etc.), especially do this for me.

I remember some months back, when I was typing a letter to Molly, and I was listening to a classical station online, and this piece of music was on ... I couldn't describe how it made me feel, but it was good. I felt happy, like a memory was being touched, and even though I couldn't quite grasp that memory, the music was there, and that was enough. It was Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on the Theme by Thomas Tallis," and I was so excited this week to finally get a CD that had that piece of music on it. It's something about really long pieces of music -- pieces like Samuel Barber's "Adadio for Strings," and Smetana'a "The Moldau" ... pieces that ebb and flow, cresendo and fall ... and seem to take your (my) heart with them. I love it when music can do that.

Okay ... I'm done waxing dorky ...

No comments: