14 August 2006

End of the rainbow musing




I used to love little cheesy stories where a girl finds the end of a rainbow and steps into a new world and has adventures and maybe finds her first true love ... and even as an adult, I still love fairy tales and happily-ever-after endings. I like to think that at the turn of a corner, around the next tree, beneath that shaft of sunlight ... magic can exist. It's that part of me that made me turn south on Soldier Springs road yesterday, head straight into a thunderstorm, and follow a rainbow, hoping to finally, finally see the end of one ... and I did. There were no other-worldly adventures, no pot of gold, no leprechauns, and no knight in shining armor ... but there was the end of a rainbow, in Wyoming field in the middle of a thunderstorm ... and it was beautiful. Just seeing it was magic enough for me. Ends of rainbows do exist. I suppose what happens after that is up to the person who gets to see it.

No comments: