19 June 2010

ADD and the ... what? where?

A glimpse at my shattered attention span today, as seen through the 10 Internet Explorer windows I currently have open.

IE Window 1:
AP Exchange, where I search for relevant pictures, graphics, stories, breaking news, etc., to help me do my job intelligently and efficiently.

IE Window 2:
XTreme Workflow, where I approve/reject the page I've sent electronically to the pressmen in Cheyenne.

IE Window 3:
Newsys Content Manager, where I approve/reject the comments of readers who love us, hate us, think we're idiots and that we don't cover what they think is important, timely, relevant news (example: their kids' birthday party in the park. I'm not kidding).

IE Window 4:
Facebook. 'Nuff said. Actually, within Facebook, I flip between my account and that of the job, where I post links to stories, information about key upcoming stories, links to view our front page for the day; I interact with readers and maintain contact and other information for our office.

IE Window 5:
MySpace. Now that is enough said.

IE Window 6:
AdBuilder clipart database, where I am searching for a good piece of clipart to use to tease our Father's Day story for tomorrow.

IE Window 7:
The Society of Professional Journalists, where I am trying, when I can focus for more than ten seconds at a time, to figure out my membership.

IE Window 8:
UFC.com, where I was searching for information about WEC (see entry on Window 10).

IE Window 9:
Blogger, where I am here, now, talking to you.

IE Window 10:
WEC.com, where I was searching for information to help a coworker figure out how to bill an event in our TV listings in the sports section.

Other windows that I have open: ACT Editorial; Quark XPress; Microsoft Outlook; a Windows file folder; and a Word document.

I download a bit of clipart from Window 6, realize I need to unzip it, but first I take a look at my page in Quark. Wait. Someone may have written to me on Facebook. Nope. Hey - why do I have a window open for the UFC? Oh, yeah - WEC. Need to check that. Hey, Robert ... (discussion ensues). What was I doing? Oh. Clip art. Wait. I thought I downloaded some already. Yup. Unzip it. Check how it looks on the page. No. Not that one. Maybe another one. Oh. A new e-mail in Outlook. Junk. Why do I have a Word file open? Oh, yeah. I was supposed to be pre-proofing the Father's Day story. Father's Day ... Clip art. Teaser. Wait. New text message on the phone. Eh. Won't answer it just now. Don't like this song on my iPod - change it. Check Exchange. Nothing new. Dangit - proofread the story! Wait ... there was something else ...

Is there a drug for this? Like, legitimately? Crimeny ...

1 comment:

Fuzzy said...

I usually only have 3 - 5 IE Windows/Tabs open, and at least two of those are for our billing system which is a web app. I would probably have more, but the 'Net Filter at work is pretty aggressive, and anything I'd bother checking is blocked.