10 September 2008

Waxing political ... a very little bit

Have you noticed how Barack Obama is reported to have "faith" (aww ...), while Sarah Palin is consistently said to only have "religion" (curse her!)?

Me, too ...

And if I get one more story about how flash bulbs reflected off her glasses, about her pregnant daughter (who isn't running for anything and wouldn't be under nearly so much scrutiny if her mother was a liberal Democrat), or about her "outdated" hairstyle, I'm going to slash it and fill the remaining space with a horribly written press release. It will, in the end, be a better use of space. There is no mention of aesthetics or physical appearances in the stories about Barack Obama (or Joe Biden), no scrutiny of their children ...

I like Sarah Palin. I like her politics, I like her faith, I like her stance, I like how she's not taking anyone's BS, I like her glasses, I like that her choice for her son was life, I like that she walks what she talks ... and I like that she's got Obama's campaign scrambling and the media showing just how much they worship Obama. Reading stories side-by-side from Denver and Minneapolis show the media in a near-orgasmic euphoria at the feet of Obama, while they were pretty much at a darts tournament covering the RNC. I don't care what party you're in -- it was embarassing to read, see and hear.

I agree with BJ -- charisma and well-delivered speeches do not a great (or even a good) leader make -- that the opposite, historically, has also been painfully true. He drew some more extreme parallels, but the conclusion is the same: Obama is suave, and he's a historic first for racial politics ... and that's about it.

Let's hope the novelty wears off in time for common sense to sink in.

No comments: