11 September 2008

But it's so much fun to say ...

My friend Joy's daughter (2 years old) likes to show off by saying "Barack Obama."

"Is Barack Obama going to be there?"

"I want to see Barack Obama."

And so on ...

(For the record, she's also taken a liking to calling people -- her parents included -- "retards.")

We couldn't figure this out. Her parents are rather conservative people, certainly not likely to suddenly swing to the extreme left, and we couldn't figure out where this little girl's fascination with Barack Obama came from.

So I tried just saying the name over and over.

"Barack Obama. Barack Obama. Barack Obama."

And the truth is -- it's just fun to say. It rolls off the tongue. It has a lyrical sound and feel to it. I can see why a child learning language would find it fun to say.

And so we started to identify other words that are fun to say.

Isuzu.

Abu Dabi.

San Antonio.

I sounded like a large child just beginning to learn language. But it was fun. I couldn't get through the list of Fun Words to Say without giggling ...

Barack Obama. San Antonio. Isuzu. Abu Dabi.

They're all just so much fun to say.

But I still like Sarah Palin.

No comments: