12 October 2007

Rod Stewart Musing

Someone gave me a Rod Steward CD today.

Don't laugh.

There are three songs on it that I like, and that, in my mind, makes having it worth, well, having it ...

A few observations, though:

-- As time passes and plastic surgeries increase, I can't help but notice that Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow look more and more alike ... or maybe it's just me.
-- I never knew that Rod Stewart originally recorded "The First Cut is the Deepest."
-- The CD has "Broken Arrow" on it, which brought back a memory: In browsing through a high school journal, I came across a page on which I had scrawled "Bottle of Rain" with a copyright symbol. I remember that Brooke, Eric and I were sitting in the history/Bible/lunch/chapel room in high school (don't remember the year), and Brooke and I both wanted to use "bottle of rain" in a poem or a story or something. Eric told us that the first to write it out and "copyright" it could use it ... so there it sits in my journal. What a weird thing to be able to recall like that ...

Another song on the disc is "All for One," which Stewart croons with fellow '90s icons Bryan Adams and Sting.

Oh, the memories ...

That was the song -- THE song from "The Three Musketeers," the film that made every adolescent girl absolutely ga-ga over Chris O'Donnell (if they weren't already after he was in "School Ties" and "Scent of a Woman"). I was so jealous of Julie Delpy for a) getting to be his love interest in the movie and b) getting to wear those killer dresses ... I think I was 14 at the time. Oh, the good ol' days ...

Let's play Six Degrees of Separation:
Chris O'Donnell was in "The Three Musketeers" with Hugh O'Connor, who played Pere Henri in "Chocolat" with Juliette Binoche, who played Cathy (and Catherine) in "Wuthering Heights" with Ralph Fiennes, who played in "The Constant Gardener" with Rachel Weisz, who played in "The Mummy" with Brendan Fraser, who was in "School Ties" with Chris O'Donnell. Maybe that's seven degrees, but it's the best I can do right now. It's late on a Friday night, after all ...

No comments: