28 August 2007

Sad and Sunny Days Musing

Today was sunny, but I was glad to see the sun (I do, on occasion, enjoy sunshine over clouds and rain ... sometimes). It was a good day. Good coffee. Good conversations. And except for getting my first-ever jury summons, it still is a good day ...

But I met a girl tonight who is having to plan her fiance's funeral. He went camping by himself over the weekend and had an aneurism ... and now, instead of planning a wedding, she's planning a funeral.

I've written about fears of things like this before -- fears of losing a spouse, a child, a friend ... just of losing someone I love. And this poor girl is living out my fear. She's not much older than I am. She looks like she's handling it very well. I'd be a basketcase. I'd be curled up in bed for a few days straight; maybe a few weeks straight.

It made me realize a few things, though. My fear of something won't keep it from happening; nor will it guarantee that it will happen. And, no matter how greatly you fear a thing, you can survive it. You can pick up the pieces, pull yourself together, and move on.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Wow - I can't imagine. One of my fears as well as I'm sure... so many others. Those who lost loved ones due to all sorts of natural and unnatural disasters. I had a friend die in a car accident in '01, he had just gotten engaged. He and Mike had grown up together... well, said, "My fear of something won't keep it from happening"