23 November 2006

Tryptophan Hangover Musing

I love Thanksgiving. I really do. It's the gateway to The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. What I don't like about Thanksgiving is having to work on that day. Like I did this year.

Determined to not have the pathetically self-pitying Thanksgiving that I had two years ago when I had to work the holiday, I set out to enjoy the offerings of one of the local churches that was sponsoring a community Thanksgiving dinner. It was delicious. I had hot & spicy fried turkey, a fruit stuffing, and all the other trimmings ... including a tryptophan hangover that showed up right around the time that I was supposed to show up for work. I tugged on the jeans and sweatshirt (traditional post-gluttony clothing) and dragged myself to work, where the promise of another holiday treat is holding me over through my I-hate-working-holidays grinchiness ...

And that treat is peppermint-flavored coffee. Did you know there was such a thing? God bless America, land of the free and home of brave food developers. That peppermint-flavored coffee made it out of the experimental lab and into the bulk coffee bins at my local Wal-Mart is likely no small miracle. That it is now mingling with Coffeemate in the mug on my desk makes working the holidays a little less bah-humbug-ish. Scrooge, you can make me work every major holiday this year, but you can't take away my coffee.

God bless us, every one!

No comments: