21 February 2007

Whiling Away a Wednesday Musing

When God Makes You Go "Hmmmm"

So ... in a moment of vulnerability, I wrote about doubting and wondering and pondering my status in life ... and the very next day, in a letter from a friend's ministry, the writer talked about facing life's disappointments and being honest about how we feel God has disappointed us. I figured that the timing was too close for the writer to have read my blog and to have crafted this letter specifically for me ... but still ...

The letter centers around Peter, how, in the Garden of Gethsemane, he had cut off the soldier's ear who had come to help arrest Jesus ... only to turn around mere hours later and deny that he even knew Jesus, going so far as to curse and swear that he didn't know Him ... and the disappointment that he must have felt in himself, in the direction of his life ... and how, when he didn't know what else to do, he just went fishing; went back to what he knew best.

I'm not sure what is I would do that would be the equivalent of Peter's going fishing ... but whatever that is, wherever it is, I'm wondering if Jesus will meet me on the beach, cook breakfast and have a chat with me. I could really use a face-to-face chat with Jesus right now.

Pondering "The Princess Bride"

To the person who requested to be called Buttercup for the time being: Buttercup eventually did love again ... in addition to trusting, admiring, respecting and being attracted to the person she loved. It took time, though ... and time is a frustrating thing.

Listening to Layton

A friend reminded me the other day of the Layton Howerton CDs I own, and so I'm listening to one today while I'm at work. I like music while I work, though sometimes I like to listen to someone just talk (which is why the BBC's streaming online coverage is so much appreciated ...) or read ("The Chronicles of Narnia" dramatized version is fabulous), or, in this case, sing and tell stories ... I like Layton Howerton's stuff because he manages to tell stories in his music. Some music is poetry, some is pondering ... and this is storytelling. Like sitting by a fireplace, logs blazing, snow outside, and someone -- some aged, grizzled sage -- is sitting in a rocking chair, maybe with a guitar, enchanting his living room audience with tales that aren't necessarily tall and narratives that aren't always noble, but they all have a message ...

On Television ...

So the world will find out tomorrow night if Meredith Grey is going to die or not ... and opinions leading up to the episode are incredibly varying ... my sister-in-law-to-be swears that if Meredith dies, she'll die ... and I'm not sure how Matt feels about that, given all the preparations that have gone into the wedding ... my co-worker, cynical as he is, is determined that since the show is called "Grey's Anatomy," the character of Meredith Grey cannot die. She could die, I countered, and continue to narrate the show as a ghostly looker-on of events at the hospital. I hear that "Desperate Housewives" is done in similar fashion. But the cheese factor of the show would increse exponentially if this happened ... comparable to a can of CheeseWiz ...

And before we find out Meredith's fate, will we find out, for certain, whether Daniel's mother murdered Faye Summers in "Ugly Betty?" I'm not sure. God bless the invention of the VCR, because I'd be so in the dark otherwise ...

No comments: